This recipe came from Mrs. Happy Homemaker and is one of my absolute favorites. It is so yummy and makes a lot so it perfect for meal prepping for the week. There is some spice to it, so be aware of that if you do not like spicy foods.
I chose to use chicken and I halved the recipe because I did not need 4 pounds of meat for one week of lunches. I also did not use the onion.
Step one is to season the chicken well with salt and pepper.
Step 2 is to heat the oil on the stove and sear all sides of your meat.
Next, put the chicken into the slow cooker and add in the rest of the seasonings, hot sauce, and chile peppers.
Let the meat cook for 8 hours on low heat. Once it is finished, move to a separate bowl and shred it using 2 forks.
If you prefer to not have all the juice you can just dump it, however since I was keeping it in the fridge I wanted to make sure that it didn’t get dry.
Put it in your taco shell, add all of your favorite toppings, and Enjoy!
Full Recipe and Directions
- 4 pounds of beef, pork, or chicken
- Salt and Pepper to season meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 (7 oz) diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 (5 oz) bottle hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Trim the meat of any excess fat, and season well with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the meat in the hot skillet, and sear it quickly on all sides.
- Transfer the meat to a slow cooker and top it with the chopped onion. Season with chopped green chiles, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and hot pepper sauce.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender and falling apart, checking to make sure there is always at least a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the cooker (add more liquid if needed).
- Transfer the meat to a bowl and shred it using 2 forks.
Check out more of Mrs. Happy Homemaker’s recipes and let us know what you think. Until next time lovelies!